You surely cannot travel to Phuket or anywhere else in Thailand and miss out on a Thai massage or spa treatment. Thailand has transformed the simple backrub into something spectacular – Thai massage helps ease tension and brings about a deep sense of relaxation. Try a Thai massage from a local specialist or include massage in a day of pampering at a Phuket spa – here are our tips for making the Phuket spa experience special.
Phuket Spa and Massage
Phuket has developed into something of a specialist home for spas and wellness retreats. On the island of Phuket you’ll find some top-quality spa facilities ranging from economical day spas to the full-on luxury resort experience. Every location is different but you will probably find a mixture of Eastern and Western wellness techniques in peaceful surroundings. No matter how much money you have to spend, you are spoiled for choice in tranquil Phuket.
How to Enjoy Your Phuket Spa Experience
- Be willing to try something new – often there are treatments on the menu in Phuket that you may not be familiar with, but will grow to love. Ask for more detail about any treatment that sounds interesting.
- Try to schedule your spa visit for a time when the facilities are less crowded. This makes for a more relaxing experience.
- Make sure that the therapist knows about any health conditions you have that may affect the massage or the treatment – for example, asthma or diabetes. Let the therapist know if you are pregnant as this restricts the treatments you should have.
- Plan your treatment so it fits with your other plans – a facial may make your skin red and sensitive so you don’t want to go out in the sun straight after, for example.
- Give yourself plenty of time to wind down after the treatment and ease back into your routine.
- If the therapist doesn’t speak English fluently, make sure that you clear up any questions or issues you have before the session starts. Ask other staff for help with translation if needed.
Top Spas in Phuket
Phuket offers a range of spas and spa resorts to suit all budgets. You can stay an hour or a week – check out these resorts for ideas and inspiration.
Mandara Spa at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
If you want a truly indulgent spa treat, the Romantic Getaway package at the Mandara offers a four-hour relaxation retreat with foot massages, steam baths, salt scrubs, massage, facials, and refreshments.
Cheraim Spa Village
The design of this elegant, hugely spacious retreat is amazing. And the setting is so tranquil you will forget you are right in the heart of Phuket. The gardens are filled with tropical flowers and there is a river running through the village. There are treatment suites for individuals and groups and treatments range from simple massage to hot stone massage, head massage, and chakra balancing.
Le Spa at Le Meridien Phuket
If you’re looking for something a little different, try the sequence of treatments all based on tea. The program consists of massage, facials and body wraps on three different days which are designed to relax you and counteract the effects of jet lag and stress.
Banyan Tree Spa
This resort is more expensive but is something you will never forget. The package offered takes all day and includes lunch so you will definitely emerge a changed person – relaxed and ready to enjoy all that Phuket has to offer.
The Aspara at Holiday Inn Resort Phuket
Check out the hot stones massage and the aromatherapy massages at this luxury Phuket resort – you won’t regret spending a little money getting pampered in style.
Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa
The spa at the Hilton is as you would expect from a world-class hotel – a beautifully relaxing set of treatments in supremely tranquil and special surroundings. Try the rebalancing sequence of foot soak, scrub and massage to put some energy back into your life.
For more information and inspiration on Phuket spas and spa resorts, check out PhuketOn. Plan your luxury trip to Phuket with the help of PhuketOn.
Featured image via Dennis Wong / Flickr